Today was a day where I was very, VERY glad I have a partner like Jarak. He made me go to the emergency room this morning. Not only that, but he got up 3 hours before he usually does on his day off to drive me to the ER, sat with me while I was there and drove me to  the drug store to get my prescriptions and then drove me home and put me back to bed.

Why did I have to go to the ER at 8:30 on a Friday morning when I’m usually so healthy? I will tell you internets. I have had a sensitive tooth for about a year now. Cold makes it all stabby. I clench my jaw when I sleep and had worn the tooth pretty badly creating the sensitivity. I also have a filling in that tooth that’s been redone once already. About 10 days ago that tooth started hurting. At first it was occasional, and it got progressively worse. I was in so much pain yesterday at work that I was nauseous. I was getting nerve transfer from my tooth into my scalp. This is the worst toothache of my life! And I’ve had braces. I called Jarak’s dentist who couldn’t get me in until Tuesday. Great…Ibuprofen, acetaminophen and the topical oral anesthetic stuff were barely touching it. I fell asleep on the couch at 7pm last night and went to bed proper at around 10.

I woke up this morning, got ready for work and minutes before I walked out the door was hit with excruciating pain. I quickly realized that there was no way I was going to get through today, even though it’s a relatively short day. I called out of work, called the school I work with to let them know I wasn’t going to be in, and then sat down on the bed and cried I was in so much pain. It takes a lot for me to call out of work. I need to be either throwing up, running a fever, or in tears. Today was the in-tears kind of day. Jarak suggested that we go to the ER. I felt kind of silly going to the ER with tooth pain, but then again, people go to the ER for much less pain than this. We’re talking spikes up to 10 on the 1-10 scale.

So we head over to Ellis ER. It’s pretty quiet this time of day, thank goodness. I told him he didn’t have to come, but he gave me the look that said “are you nuts? of course I have to be there.” What he said was “if they give you the good drugs, you need someone to drive you home.”  My blood pressure was the highest it’s ever been, but the nurse said that with dental pain it’s pretty understandable. Initial doses of penicillin and  Motrin were given,  and we were in and out of the ER in under an hour with a script for penicillin, script for oxycodone and a recommendation to take 800mg of ibuprofen or 1g acetaminophen pretty regularly and to avoid the narcotics if I can. I took one of the oxys when I got home because I needed it to stop hurting. Then we went back to bed. I’m relatively pain-free right now, which is nice, because it’s hurt continuously since Sunday night. I feel super-guilty about calling out of work though, because, technically, I could be at work. Except that no one wants a therapist who’s in pain or doped up on oxy.

We realized something while we were sitting in the ER.  He is the person I want to be notified first if anything happens. The nurse asked for an emergency contact, and I gave them Jarak’s name, not my parents, for the first time ever. We live together, and if anything were to happen, I want him to be there more than I’d want anyone else. Which led me to realize that he needs my parents’ contact information. I have his family’s contact info because I’ve come to visit so many times and I was living there, but he doesn’t have any way to get ahold of my family. It’s one more way that we’re cementing our relationship as a partnership.

The other, totally unrelated way that we’ve done that recently is that I am now on his AAA account. It’s not just facebook official, it’s AAA official.

So in short, pain sucks, but my boyfriend is amazing. Also, I’m shite at allowing myself a sick day.